top of page

Tahiti, The Ultimate Wedding Destination!

Getting Married in Tahiti

Weddings in Tahiti and Bora Bora are a dream for many people around the world.  Now fortunately, Americans and other foreigners may legally marry in The Islands of Tahiti. And that includes same-sex couples! It is important to note the distinction between legal & symbolic weddings. All legal marriages must take place at City Hall. Of course, you may choose to follow this up with a symbolic ceremony. It can be as simple and private as a romantic sunset ceremony, or an elaborate affair with spectacular musicians and dancers. You have the option of a traditional Tahitian ceremony or any number of western ceremonies.


The documents required can be overwhelming and we are here to help you every step of the way! Compulsory conditions you must meet as a couple:

  • Both spouses must be at least 18 years old

  • You cannot be currently be married

  • Neither of you can be related by direct lineage

  • Neither spouse can be a French national or resident of France

  • Witnesses accompanying the couple must be at least 18 years of age. We can provide witnesses for you.


Required Documents

  • You must complete the application “Marriage of Foreign Citizens in French Polynesia."

  • A letter signed & dated by both future spouses, addressed to the Mayor of the commune chosen for the marriage ceremony.

  • You must provide a copy of both your passports as proof of identity

  • A certified copy of both birth certificates - authenticated with an Apostille. (Your birth certificates must be issued less than 6 months prior to the date of the marriage). Both of your birth certificates and the Apostille must be translated into French by an approved translator and legalized by the French Consulate. You can find "approved" translators on the consulate’s website.

  • A “Certificate of Non-Marital Status” (Certificate de Celibat) signed by a lawyer, translated info French and legalized by the French Consulate. You can find lawyers on the consulate’s website.

  • Proof of residency for both future spouses (a utility bill or any bill noting names and physical address. A photo copy is fine.

  • Optional: If you have a prenuptial agreement, it must be translated into French and authenticated by the French Consulate.


You must have all of these documents translated into French by a sworn translator.

bottom of page